Click here for Evidencing the Impact of the Primary PE and Sport Premium
Click here for our Sports Funding Impact Statement
Swimming and water safety is an extremely important part of the PE curriculum at Meare and is another way of helping children to lead healthy and active lives. Pupils in Years 1, 3 and 4 swim once a week in the Spring term and children in Years 2, 5 and 6 in the Summer term. Lessons take place at Strode Swimming Pool, Street, on Tuesday mornings. Pupils are taught according to their ability and are taught to:
- Swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- Use a range of strokes effectively eg. front crawl, back stroke and breaststroke
- Perform safe self-rescue in different water based situations.
Children are expected to:
- Attend every session and are expected to come with their full kit.
- Girls - Swimming costume (No Bikini's)
- Boys - Swimming trunks (No Bermuda style shorts)
- No Jewellery
- No creams or talcum powders except for medical reasons and prescribed by the GP or Nurse.
Some pupils participate in an end of year inter-school swimming gala organised by Strode Swimming Pool.
All Year 6 pupils have met the National requirement and are able to swim at least 25 metres (March 2018).